This blog is for ongoing dialogue between those of us who have survived divorced and have started the journey of finding out who they are and what they want out of their new lives. It's for support, ideas, and motivation to live a full life.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tips To Team Up With Your Child's Teacher


Tonight was conference night at my kids' school. They do conferences at the beginning of the year so that the parents get a chance to tell the teachers about their kids learning styles, behaviors, and whatever else is relevant to the classroom. Pictured with me is my daughter's teacher, Kelly Lauberth. She is a total stud and we have a lot in common.

One big lesson that I've learned is the importance of being my child's advocate. I am up at the school a lot and dialogue with their teachers frequently so that I can stay on top of how they are socially, academically, and emotionally at school. I know people that never talk to their kids teachers and have no idea really what's going on with them at school. They never go up and have lunch with them or see them playing with other kids.

A big reason for being my kid's advocate is the fact that my son has ADD (he is medicated). He has obvious behavior issues at school and I work with his teacher a lot to try to figure out how he's doing and what we can all do to make him more successful at school.

Today was a perfect example of the importance of us working as a team. My ex dropped my kids off early since he was heading out of town and then I took them to school. I asked my son if he took his medicine and he said no. I called his dad and he confirmed that he forgot to give it to him. So, I gave it to him, but knew that I had to tell the teacher because it wouldn't begin working for another hour and that affected how he acted in the classroom. She appreciated the heads-up.

So, here's my top 5 tips for teaming up with your kid's teachers...
  1. Share your story with them. They need to know about your divorce/separation and how it affects your kids. It's also relevant to tell other teachers that work with your kids (PE, art, music). Try to just give facts not emotions.
  2. Let the teachers know your parenting schedule. Mine changes every week because my FH (former husband) travels, so their night with them changes often. The teachers appreciate knowing who's with who, and when. It just makes things easier.
  3. Show an interest in what's going on with your kids at school. Work in the classroom if you can, stop by in the mornings before school or after school, or send them emails if that's all you can do. The teachers will appreciate your willingness to partner with them.
  4. Let them know when you see emotional changes in your kids, especially if they're sad or angry. Somehow that will eek over in their school day and the teacher will be prepared for it.
  5. Don't trash your previous significant other to the teacher or in front of them. It just makes you look bad (even though it may feel good temporarily). It is not the teacher's responsibility to deal with your emotional crap.
I'm not an expert and I don't play one on TV, but I am learning a lot about being a divorced single mom, and appreciate all the advice I get from others who have been where I am.

To your new life...
Claire

Tags: | | | |

No comments: