This blog is for ongoing dialogue between those of us who have survived divorced and have started the journey of finding out who they are and what they want out of their new lives. It's for support, ideas, and motivation to live a full life.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Stopping the Assumptions

I was reminded today of one of my favorite books that I refer to all the time now, The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. A friend told me about it when I was going through my divorce and involved in an Artist's Way group. The book was a little hard to get into, but once I did, it became a huge resource for me.

The four agreements are: Be Impeccable With Your Word, Don't Take Anything Personally, Don't Make Assumptions, & Always Do Your Best. I find myself facing issues daily that revolve around these agreements.

Today it was about making assumptions. I assumed something to be true, but once I started thinking about it, I needed to get clarification on it to make sure the person I was dealing with was on the same page also. We are all guilty of assuming way too much and it often bites us in the ass when we're dealing with our exes, co-workers and family, to name a few.

In the chapter about assumptions, Ruiz states, "When we make an assumption, we misunderstand, we take it personally, and we end up creating a whole big drama for nothing". I don't know about you, but that hits home with me.

If you don't have this book, it's a really big help for all of us and issues we face daily. It is masterful at putting things into perspective.

To your new life...
Claire

Tags: | | |

No comments: