This blog is for ongoing dialogue between those of us who have survived divorced and have started the journey of finding out who they are and what they want out of their new lives. It's for support, ideas, and motivation to live a full life.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Legal Email Issues

I got an email from my lawyer today, Alan Freed, that had a great point regarding communicating with your STBX (soon to be ex) by email while you're going through the divorce. I thought I'd pass it on for those that it might help.

The best rule I know is to assume that every email you send will eventually be evidence in a court hearing. Therefore, make sure you READ your email before you hit the send button. For some folks this may mean printing the thing first and then reading it. If there is anything in the email you wouldn't want repeated in public, take it out. Limit the content to what needs to be communicated and cut out the negative commentary. It won't get you what you want anyway.

Everyone that knows me knows that email is my preferred form of communication with my FS (former spouse). I was diligent about saving emails while we were going through the divorce in case I needed them. I didn't since our case never went to court. Glad that I did anyway. Hope this helps.

To your new life...
Claire

Tags: | | |


No comments: