This blog is for ongoing dialogue between those of us who have survived divorced and have started the journey of finding out who they are and what they want out of their new lives. It's for support, ideas, and motivation to live a full life.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Having a Foster Husband

Having travelled to Chicago this past weekend with my friend Lori, I'm reminded about the importance that she's had in my life since my separation and divorce. We were good friends and business partners, but she became like a "foster husband" to me.

I turned to her when I was devastated that my marriage was over and I had to begin the task of finding an attorney, understand my financials, and all of the other major stuff that comes flooding at you when you are at your ultimate worst. I was drowning, and she was my reality life preserver. She had no idea what to do either, but, just knowing that I had her with me to deal with things was huge. We just kind of figured it out together.

We have travelled together for years and she's always had the role of the take charge, plan the trip, take care of business person and I'm always the along for the ride, go with the flow, funny one. Our friendship was already pretty solid.

I don't know what it would have been like for me to have gone through my separation and divorce without dear friends, family, and my foster husband. I guess there are people out there that don't feel comfortable letting people "in" and feeling the need to handle things on their own. That wasn't me. I needed lots of help and everywhere I turned, it seemed, someone was offering a helping hand. My friends and family have taught me a lot about unconditional love and being real.

To your new life...
Claire

Tags: | | |

No comments: